Frequently Asked Questions
How often does the William H Simpson No. 17 steam locomotive run?
Please check the calendar for specific dates and times. You can do this by clicking on “Calendar” above. On our schedule, a red line indicates that No. 17 will be running. A black line indicates the diesel will be running. If you have a large group and would like to set up a date and time that is not listed, please contact us at email@example.com
How do I get my tickets when I order them online?
What about parking?
There are a few small lots near the station with available parking spaces. Additionally, there is street parking on Front Avenue and North Front Street. There are marked handicap spots located directly behind the Historic New Freedom Train Station.
Can we get group rates?
Yes, special rates apply to groups of 15 or more people. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.
Is the train handicapped accessible?
Northern Central Railway has limited accessibility, due to the historic nature of our cars. Please note the following:
- A wheelchair lift is available at our New Freedom station. On excursions with layovers in other locations, no lifts are available.
- The wheelchair lift allows access to the Anderson Car, so individuals with limited mobility and their traveling companions should purchase tickets on the Anderson Car. If you see no available seats on the Anderson Car, please contact us and we will work with you to reserve seats.
- Passengers that can be helped to a train seat by their traveling group can be confident that our train crew will safely store the wheelchair during the ride.
- Our Anderson Car can accommodate passengers who need to stay in their chair, as long as the chair is no wider than 23 inches. Please note that we do not have straps to lock the chair in place.
- The train bathrooms are not handicapped accessible, but we do have accessible restrooms at the station.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with your questions or specific needs. Our email address is email@example.com.
Can bicycles be accommodated onboard the train?
If you would like to ride the train one way and your bike the opposite way, please speak to the Conductor. The Conductor can sell you a one-way ticket provided there is room to accommodate the bikes. Please email us at Info@northerncentralrailway.com prior to your ride if you plan on a one-way trip.
Are pets allowed on the train?
The Northern Central Railway of York falls under regulations from the Federal Government, therefore only service dogs wearing the appropriate vests are allowed on board Northern Central Railway Trains.
How is Northern Central Railway historically relevant?
The William H. Simpson #17 steam locomotive and Northern Central Railway’s passenger cars are replicas of the trains that traveled along the Northern Central during the Civil War.
Are memberships available?
Memberships are available! Please visit our membership page for more details.
How long are the round trip excursions?
- Excursions to Glen Rock will last one hour, and travel 10 miles round trip.
- Excursions to Hanover Junction will last 2 ½ hours, and travel 20 miles round trip.
- Excursions to Seven Valleys will last 3 hours, and travel 22 miles round trip.
- Excursions to the Howard Tunnel will last 4 hours, and travel 28 miles round trip.
Is the Northern Central Railway a non-profit?
Yes, NCR is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, educational, charitable organization.
Are alcoholic beverages permitted on the train?
Passengers are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages on the train.
Is smoking permitted?
No use of tobacco products, including cigarettes, smokeless tobacco, and electronic cigarettes, is permitted on the property or trains of the Northern Central Railway at any time.
Are strollers and infant carriers allowed on the Train?
Strollers are not allowed on the train. Infant carriers are allowed if the train is not full. If you choose a special event excursion and the train is full, carriers can be left in the gift shop or put in the baggage compartment on the train.
Can I volunteer?
Yes! Our volunteer positions include flagger, greeter, and others. Click here to visit our volunteer page.
Are there special events planned?
Yes, there are special events planned all year long. You can check our Calendar or social media sites for our schedule of events.
Is there a model railroad at the NCR station?
Yes, we have a model railroad room in our Engine House.
How do I apply my Northern Central Railway Gift Certificate?
Whether you have a credit or purchased a gift certificate you must call our team at the station to apply it. You can not use the NCR gift certificates for combination dining excursions including Brunch, Dine & Rides, and Santa Express! If you any questions please call 717-942-2370.