- This event has passed.
Fall Foliage Glen Rock Express 11:00 AM, 1:00 PM, & 2:30 PM
Oct 18, 2020Ride Time(s): 11:00 AM, 1:00 PM, 2:30 PM
October 18 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Experience the colors of fall during this 1-hour round trip to Glen Rock, PA with our 1959 GP 9 diesel locomotive at the only place in the world where an original Pennsylvania railroad locomotive runs on a genuine Pennsylvania rail line. Your ride follows the route of the original Northern Central Railroad, a historic railway dating back to the 1820s, through the scenic Heritage Rail Trail County Park. Learn about the history of the towns and villages you pass along the way.
The coaches are pushed and pulled by our vintage diesel locomotive.
This excursion is 1 hour.
Tickets will be printed and available for pick up at the ticket booth on the day of the excursion.
Please arrive 30 minutes prior to boarding.
Before you join us please reference our new protocols!
Learn about each of our coaches here.
Many thanks for the support of our 2020 season bronze sponsors:
COVID-19 Health and Safety Protocols:
- Face masks are required for guests and NCR staff and volunteers while on the property, on the train, and in the gift shop. If you do not have a mask, one will be provided.
- Guests who have been exposed to COVID-19 or are exhibiting symptoms will be asked to reschedule their excursion for another date.
- Train coaches, gift shop, ticket area, restrooms, and all other public spaces will be cleaned before each train excursion following CDC guidelines.
- All tickets should be purchased online if possible. Day-of tickets can be purchased at the designated ticket area inside the building (credit cards preferred).
- Assigned seating will be used in each coach for social distancing.
- 1 member per ticketed group will be permitted inside to pick up or purchase tickets at the building ticket window. A limited number of guests are allowed in the gift shop to ensure 75% capacity or less.
- Guests will enter through the handicap entrance along Front Street and exit through the front door on Main Street.
- Guests will be asked to wait outside for the train. Limited waiting areas will be available in the building when inclement weather.
- Family members should help others in their party access the train and disembark from the train.
- Windows and coach doors will be operated by NCR staff and volunteers only.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be available throughout the property.
- Food and beverages are not permitted on the train.
- Northern Central Railway will not be running the steam engine in the short term. The operations team and executive committee have been monitoring the impact of state-mandated limitations on passengers per car, as well as the expenses NCR incurs each time we operate the steam engine, and have decided that trains will be pulled by the GP 9 diesel engine until further notice. There’s nothing like the sight, sound, and smell of No. 17, so we will continue to evaluate our opportunities and options based upon changing government guidance and requirements to determine when it will be economically feasible to run the steam locomotive again. Our most popular events – Fall Foliage, Wild West Express, and holiday excursions – will all continue as planned. Furthermore, NCR continues to provide new family-friendly activities like the Trunk or Treat Flyer as well as unique historic activities like the Glen Rock Express featuring Mark Twain. Northern Central Railway is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and we greatly appreciate the generous support of our donors, sponsors, members, and riders – especially during this unprecedented period. Thank you so much for your continued interest in NCR and be sure to join us to take in the colors of autumn and the excitement of the holiday season!