- This event has passed.
Summer Speaker Series – The History of Summit Grove by Author Donna Peace
Jun 26, 2019Ride Time(s):
June 26, 2019 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Donna Joy Peace is a first time historical writer. She was a history major at St. Paul Bible College in Minnesota. A pastors wife for over 40 years, she is married to Dr. Earl Wesley Peace and has 4 children and 14 grandchildren. She and her husband now live full -time at Summit Grove in New freedom, PA.
“Providence” is a book about the history of southern York County as seen through the lens of an old Methodist Campground. It covers over 200 years of history. Some of the interesting subjects included in the book are: the Underground Railroad, the Civil War years, Circuit Riding Preachers, the North Central Railway, etc…
“Providence” tells about how Summit Grove Campground in New Freedom changed the culture of the area back in the day and continues even now to influence millions of people around the world.
This is a free event, Summer Speaker Series will be presented in the gift shop at 2 W. Main Street in New Freedom, PA from 10:00 to 11:00.
Seating is limited and reservations are recommended. Please email Jenna at Jvaught@steamintohistory.com or call 717-942-2370 x100. Donations are always appreciated.
This is not a train excursion.
Many thanks for the support of our 2020 season bronze sponsors:
We’re glad to have you back on the tracks with us!
We at Northern Central Railway are committed to the health and safety of our team members, and our guests. In order to ensure everyone’s safety, we ask that you please read our re-opening protocols to familiarize yourself with our new procedures before your arrival. These may change as guidelines change so be sure to check with us shortly before your scheduled excursion.
- Employees, volunteers, and visitors will be required to wear masks or face coverings at all times while on the property and on the train. If persons do not have masks one will need to be provided.
- Guests who have been exposed to COVID 19 or are exhibiting symptoms of respiratory illness upon arrival will be asked to reschedule their excursion for another day/time.
- All employees and volunteers will have NCR COVID 19 related training.
- All employees and volunteers will answer COVID questions each day of operations and have their temperature taken per CDC guidelines.
- Trains will be cleaned before each run following CDC guidelines.
- All tickets should be purchased online if possible. Day-of tickets can be purchased by credit card with cash accepted, but not recommended, at the designated ticket area inside the building.
- One member per ticketed group will be permitted inside to pick up or purchase tickets at the building ticket window.
- Limited waiting areas, that are remote from each other, will be available in the building for inclement weather conditions, but visitors will be asked to wait outside for the train after they are done conducting business inside.
- Seating charts will be used on each train to disperse passengers for social distancing purposes.
- Family members should help others in their party access the train and disembark from the train.
- Windows will be operated by NCR employees of volunteers only.
- Doors to and from coaches will be operated by NCR employees or volunteers only.
- The wheelchair lift will be cleaned and sanitized after each use.
- No food or merchandise sales will be conducted aboard the train.
- A limited number of guests are allowed in the gift shop to ensure 75% capacity or less.
- Guests will enter through the handicap entrance along Front Street and exit through the front door on Main Street.
- Tickets and limited retail merchandise will be available inside the gift shop.
- Arrows and marks will be placed on the gift shop floor for social distancing at the ticket window and gift shop checkout counter directing guests.
- Employees will be required to wear masks and disposable gloves for handling payments.
- Credit card transactions are encouraged, but cash will be accepted as a form of payment.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be made available for visitors and staff at the ticket counter and by the front door / sales checkout counter.
- Thorough cleanings will be completed between each train run.
- Curbside delivery will be available for purchases.